Acute respiratory infections are one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality worldwide. Accurate and timely diagnosis of viral infections can ensure appropriate treatment plans, reduce the cost of care and assist with controlling the spread of disease.
Adenovirus (AdV), human metapneumovirus (hMPV) and enterovirus/rhinovirus (EV/RhV) are common respiratory pathogens responsible for cold-like illnesses amongst all age groups. However particularly in the young, eldely and immunocompromised, these viruses can progress to severe clinical manifestations, such as pneumonia, bronchitis, bronchiolitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).123
Differential diagnosis of respiratory viral infections is therefore important for subsequent evaluation of antiviral drugs, prevention of secondary bacterial infections, or containment of potential outbreaks.
The UC-DGN-AMERTM assay for use with the cobas omni Utility Channel on the cobas® 6800/8800 Systems is a high-throughput multiplex assay for the qualitative detection and differentiation of respiratory viruses AdV, hMPV and EV/RhV.
Run fully compliant, CE-IVD workflow without further optimization. Positive and negative controls included.
Benefit from fully automated cobas® 6800/8800 Systems and an industry-leading menu to tackle seasonal high demand.
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About Adenoviruses. https://www.cdc.gov/adenovirus/about/index.html. Accessed 15 Jun 2021.
2. Hamelin ME, A bed Y, Boivin G. Human metapneumovirus: a new player among respiratory viruses. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38(7):983-990. doi:10.1086/382536
3. Royston L, Tapparel C. Rhinoviruses and Respiratory Enteroviruses: Not as Simple as ABC. Viruses. 2016;8(1):16. Published 2016 Jan 11. doi:10.3390/v8010016
* Two samples were excluded from the analysis as confirmed belonging to ADV species D and F.
** The sample has been sequenced but the results were not interpretable.
*** None of the four discordant positive samples gave interpretable sequencing results. One of them had been confirmed ADV positive by the supplier.
* The two discordant positive samples have been sequenced and did not gave interpretable results. One of them had been confirmed MPV positive by the supplier.
* Among the seven discordant positive samples sent to sequencing, three have been confirmed as RV positive. The sequencing results were not interpretable for four samples but three of them had been confirmed as EV/ RV positive by the supplier. In conclusion, six out of the seven discordant positive samples were confirmed EV/ RV positive.
** The two discordant negative results had been confirmed ER/RV positive by the supplier.
Key ParametersVollständige Tabelle anzeigen
|Targets||Adenovirus, human metapneumovirus, enterovirus/rhinovirus|
|Sample and media types||Nasopharyngeal swab samples collected in the Copan UTM-RT ®
System, the BDTM UVT System or equivalent
|Minimum amount of sample required||0.6 mL|
|Sample processing volume||0.4 mL|
|Test duration||Results are available within less than 3.5 hours after loading the sample on the system|
|System software||cobas® 6800/8800 System Software 1.4 or higher|